DSC_2496To start primary school your child must turn five years of age, or older, by 30 April of the year that they start school.

Before you enrol your child in a primary school, you may wish to visit a number of schools to decide on the best one for your child.

Once you have made your choice you will then be ready to enrol.

Download Enrolment Form



When to enrol


You can enrol your child in a Victorian government primary school at any time during the year. This is particularly helpful if you are moving to a new area, interstate or from overseas.

Planning ahead, many Victorian government primary schools start taking enrolments as early as May the year before your child is due to start school.

How to enrol

To enrol your child in a Victorian government school you will need to fill out an enrolment form at that school and provide the school with important information about your child, including:

  • evidence of your child’s date of birth
  • your contact, phone and address details, and that of any other parent, guardian and/or carer
  • names and contact details of emergency contacts
  • doctor’s and dentist’s names and phone numbers
  • Immunisation Status Certificate
  • health and welfare information
  • information about the language/s your child speaks and hears at home

Enrolment forms are available at each school. If you need an interpreter to help fill out the enrolment form, the school staff can help organise this for you.

Many government primary schools conduct an orientation day so prospective students can see their new environment, meet the teachers and see the classrooms prior to the first day of school.

We encourage you to attend these orientation days with your child so that you also can familiarise yourself with the school and its environment.